The unlikely blonde.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Last year I had indigo and hot pink streaks in my hair and I loved it! The indigo was a little gothy, but the pink made me feel so happy. It made me feel like me. I put in the pink in May 2013, so by May 2014, they had grown out and faded to a coral color.

Ever since 1996/97, when I saw Gwen Stefani with baby blue hair -- and odango -- at the MTV Video Music Awards, I've always wanted to bleach my hair and dye it a fantasy color. But I've also always known that my complexion (very dark hair, and very pale skin that tends to be red-toned) would just make me look super weird if I ever went vaguely near blonde.

Also, back in the 90s, before Hot Topic was really a thing, colored hair was considered very punky. Only the alternative kids like skateboarders, stoners, and goths dyed their hair blue and stuff. Now, it's so common that it's not unusual to see Oscar-winning actresses with "just for fun" pink streaks or pop starlets with a different fantasy color every month! It's normal now!

This summer, my hair began to reach creepy-long length, and I had a really bad June, and something in me cracked. I said, "Okay, I'm ready now. I'm ready to hack all this off, bleach it, and dye it all pink."

So I did.

Well, I bleached it, at least.

(May 7, zero makeup; June 27, powder and eyeliner. And cat ears, duh)

Besides these streaks, I've never dyed my hair, ever! So it was sort of an intimidating process to go from very dark brown hair to yellow-blonde. The girl didn't take me too light, since ultimately, my intention is to color over it. But I'm waiting a few days because I'm so morbidly fascinated with this strange yellow hair on my head. Particularly now that I've washed my hair and gotten rid of the smooth blow-out my hairdresser gave me, when I look in the mirror, I feel like this:


Since the maintenance of bleaching roots as dark as mine is probably too much for me to handle long-term, it's very likely this is the one and only time in my life I will be blonde. I must enjoy it for a few days before I go pink.

Post a Comment