on that Cuteness Creep

Sunday, February 9, 2014


My lip balm hoard is such that I stash multiple tubes everywhere. Next to my bed and in my purse are at least six tubes, and my desk is littered with them! Because I'm allergic to beeswax, I use vegan/hypoallergenic balms. These are really hard to find, even in stores like Whole Foods, so often I buy them online and end up ordering multiple tubes at once to be thrifty. Needless to say, they pile up!

I stuck them in little bowls, a measuring cup, that ceramic rabbit, and finally fit most of them into two little plastic tubs that held baking cups (you know, like the kind you can bake cupcakes or muffins in, like a wrapper). Actually, they were Reynolds Baking Cups tubs, specifically! I had a few paper baking cups left in each but was using them as catch-all junk caddies for small things like buttons, beads, safety pins, and push pins. These things really pile up on my desk, which is ground zero for both work and play.

I didn't love the red and blue logo on the clear plastic, so I decided to paint over them with some acrylic craft paint I've had hanging around for a long time.

I coated both of the tubs in a swathe of white. It took about 4 or 5 coats to get a good opaqueness, but each coat dried very quickly, so it didn't really take too long at all, and I didn't worry about being neat. After leaving them to dry for a night, I did some little flowers inspired by plastic storage bins I got at Michael's.

I've never really free-handed with paint, and it doesn't really look like the bins at all. But hey, pink flowers! I think Bob Ross would probably forgive me.


This is not the most impressive DIY of all time, but now these are a lot nicer to look at and this cheap plastic packaging is great storage for my lip balm hoard!

PS: I have a lot of feelings about vegan lip balm, so I started a freaking side blog about it a while back! Check it out if you're interested.

Post a Comment